Friday, January 20, 2006

Cheesecake day


My students left my classroom happy. Frank McCourt ( author of Teacher Man) is right. There are two things to get through teenagers. First is food, and Second, topics on sex. Today, I saw a sudden change in my kids as soon as they placed their fork in their mouths and tasted the blueberry and strawberry cheesecake I made for them. I did a demo on making cheesecakes in all my three classes. It left me really tired at the end of the day.However, it was worth it. I was able to teach them something they can readily prepare and at the same time it saved me some headaches and stress. Students were all quiet as they savor their snacks. They did all their assignments with no complain. Their homework is to prepare it during the weekend and bring to class comment from parent whether on paper or a post on our class blogsite ( which is still in the infancy stage). Today is really a piece of heaven for me. Makes me feel grateful to God for making me a teacher.

3 comments:

Teacher Sol said...

Wonderful class! Are you teaching Home Economics to college students? What particular subjects are you teaching? I better learn from you, I never know how to cook!!

Teacher Sol said...

Great going! Keep posting and keep sharing ypour class experiences to us!!!

Maria said...

Hi Marisol,

I am teaching all areas of Home Economics. Kung malapit ka lang, I'll even cook for you...know what? My real dream is to put up a cooking school for kids with disabilities in the Philippines. I am also a certified Special Ed. teacher and hopefully I can put the two together to create the program I have in mind.